Friday, August 19, 2011
We'll Get You There
"We'll Get You There" is the slogan of the King County Metro transportation department. And what I (Megs) have now learned from riding the bus into work almost every day for 4 years is that their slogan doesn't really tell the whole story. I feel like there should be some caveats added to that slogan such as:
"We'll Get You There. You probably won't be on time and you may have to stand in the pouring rain and cold wind waiting for us for 20 minutes, but you'll eventually get there"
"We'll Get You There along with a bunch of other people who seem like they're either coming from or going to the loony bin."
"We'll Get You There but it probably won't smell very good along the way."
"We'll Get You There and you'll have the added bonus of learning the life stories and sagas of your co-passengers because they will talk too loudly on their cell phones."
There always seems to be some kind of adventure on the bus. I take one bus into the city from the suburbs. That bus is actually kind of boring. Most people are pretty normal and just need a cheaper option to get to work. That bus is quiet and as I look around almost everyone is glued to their smart phone, listening to music, or reading a book or newspaper. That bus ride actually feels relaxing and I fall asleep most times.
And then comes the joy of riding the downtown bus up to my workplace. The craziness of that bus ride never ceases to amaze me. Some days, especially when it's really crowded or bad weather, the bus makes me cranky and I'm not in the mood to deal with it. But over time, I think riding the bus has actually been really good for me. It has taught me more compassion and empathy for humanity. As I sit and observe others or listen to them tell their stories, I realize that most people in this world are just trying to get by, feel loved, or receive validation. I once heard someone say they would never ride the buses in the city because they're too scary. If I have learned anything from the downtown bus it's just the opposite. It's helped me realize that the inner city isn't that scary. It's just filled with people who are lost and hurting.
I think a lot about my faith and actions when I'm on the bus. I know that if Jesus were here today, He would definitely be riding the bus. He would give up his seat for someone who was injured and didn't have health insurance. He would sit and talk with the woman on her way to the drug rehab clinic and probably give her a hug. He would give bus money to the homeless man. I am challenged by this on every ride because I definitely don't always behave the way Jesus would with people on the bus. Most of the time I'm annoyed or judgmental. But I see the Lord using spaces like this to teach me what it means to help and support those who are hurting and oppressed. Even if that means just giving a smile or giving up my seat.
"We'll Get You There and you might just become a better human being along the way."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Megs...I just wanted to tell you how much I loved this post. It made me smile!!
ReplyDeleteMegs, your insights are challenging. Your compassion is palpable. Well written.
ReplyDeleteBarb
How right you are! Tihis post reminds me of a story my dad used to share w us about a man on a bus. He had his children with him and they were misbehaving terribly and he wasn't doing anything about it. Everyone on the bus was judging him and annoyed at his unwillingness to discipline his kids properly. When finally a kind woman asked if she could do somethigpng to help, he quietly explained that his dear wife has just passed away. He and the children were on their way home from the hospital. This was a paradigm shift for the people on the bus, who had so harshly judged him, and then felt compassion. ... We never know what burdens people are carrying, so you're right, a smile is always the best thing we can share. Thanks for the good reminder! :)
ReplyDeleteMegs I love you even more, if that's possible.
ReplyDelete