Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Childhood Friends

People often tell me how amazing they think it is that I'm still friends with so many people from my childhood.  In fact, most of the people I spend time with these days are people I know from elementary, junior high or high school.  There was/is something special about our class and I can't quite put my finger on it.  It's probably the fact that most of us grew up in the same area so we have a long history together.  A strong connection forms when people have been part of your life through the crazy '80's bangs stage or the metal mouth stage and they still talk to and like you.  I've noticed that most people from our graduating class still hang out with each other--we're all just in different groups.  And when I see people from childhood who I haven't seen in a long time, it feels like no time has passed at all.

This summer has been especially fun because I've gotten to reconnect and spend time with a lot of people I grew up with.   


My close girlfriends Karen, Jana, Hillary, Kristine and Jessica.  I've known Hillary and Karen since first grade and met the other girls in junior high


Two friends Leslie and Brandon met in junior high, reconnected and got married in June.  Their wedding was like a mini high school reunion.  All these people went to high school together and most met even earlier than that.



DeeDee came to visit!  I met DeeDee in Kindergarten.  And now she has a sweet little one of her own. 


 

My dear friend Tyler.  We met in kindergarten and grew up in the same neighborhood.  Tyler just got married last weekend which was another mini high school reunion.  Congrats Ty!




Heidi, Vanessa, Tyler, and Justin.  We all grew up in Timberline and have lots of memories riding bikes, going to the sand pit, jumping on the trampoline, and playing two-hand touch football.  What a blast from the past to all be together again!


 I'm so grateful for all these people in my life and many more who know me so well--all my quirks, awkward stages, joys, sorrows, and life milestones.  Here's to many more years of friendship!!



2 comments:

  1. Make me jealous! I wish I could have been there to see all those old friends... So fun just to see the pictures! You're right, it was a unique group we grew up with. I loved it, and am so thankful for the foundation it's given us for life. Good friends with good values, who give good support. A blessing!

    I miss seeing you and hearing the details of your life, especially since you started your blog. It's great to be back in your life (kind-of) ... At least knowing what you're up to. Please please come visit this Spring. You and James could have a ball here, and we would show you a great time!

    Im sad I won't be getting up to Washington again anytime soon I'm afraid. I am going to CA t see dee in October though, I have to get my hands on that baby!

    Love you girl. Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megs, this post made me smile!! It truly is a blessing that we've all remained so close over the years. I know we will be lifelong friends and share many more memories.

    LOVE YOU!
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete