On Sunday, December 8, 2013 Becca's long battle with stomach cancer ended. She is now in a better place with no more suffering. I still can't even believe it and it's hard for me to comprehend that I just won't see her anymore. She was such an amazing friend and she was such a beautiful person both inside and out.
I was fortunate enough to spend some time with her in the hospital about 2 weeks before she passed. At that point she was still pretty coherent and in very little pain. I went with a close group of girlfriends and it was one of the most special girlfriend times I've ever had in my life. I was privileged to witness true, raw friendship--amazing women surrounding a friend with so much love in the darkest, hardest days of her life. I'm so grateful for the incredible friends I have in my life. I think it was comforting and energizing to Becca for us to be there. The following two weeks Becca started to lose her capability to speak and she was sleeping most of the time. She finally ended her courageous battle and passed peacefully in her sleep with her parents by her side.
We celebrated Becca's life on Saturday, December 14. It was so wonderful to see how many people attended the service and especially how many friends from high school were there. Becca touched so many lives.
It's still hard to put into words how I feel and it's hard for me to process that I've lost a close friend. Especially with how fast it all happened. For now it's been comforting being with friends, spending time with her husband and son, looking at pictures to remember happy memories, and reflecting on how grateful I am for my special friendship with Becca.
Becca, you are so loved and will never be forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment