Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to Work

During the month of August I've slowly been easing back into work.  The first week I went in 2 days.  Last week I went in 3 days and this week I went in 3 days.  Next week I go in 4 days and then I'm full time again after Labor Day.  I can't believe how fast my maternity leave went.  It is the hardest thing to leave Nate every day and I definitely was in a lot of tears the first few days.  I'm slowly getting used to it, but I think that's helped by the fact that I still get to look forward to a couple days at home with him in the week.  It's going to be REALLY hard when I'm away from him 5 days in a row.  Nate so far seems to be doing pretty well.  That's probably helped by the fact that he gets to spend his days with either his Nana or his Gramma and Grampa and is completely spoiled and loved on.  Sheesh!  He probably doesn't even realize his parents are gone all day!

I'm glad I've been easing back into work because it's definitely an adjustment.  There's so much more to do and think about.....packing up and preparing bottles, packing up his diaper bag, getting all my pump equipment together, making lunches, etc.  Hence the lack of blogging lately.  Not to mention my work day is a little different now since I have to incorporate pumping into the mix.  I'm thankful I have an office though where I can close the blinds and the door and be in total privacy.  I have a wonderful boss who is totally supportive as well.  She has 3 kids and knows what it feels like to go back to work so I'm grateful for her empathy.  Plus my co-worker has 2 young kids of her own.  Could God have placed me in a more wonderful environment for having to go back to work?  It's like He knew exactly what would help get me through!

Nevertheless we're definitely in transition and I find myself constantly problem solving and analyzing what I can do to make life tasks easier so I have more time with my husband and son.  My big experiment this week was preparing all the lunch snacks in baggies and tupperware ahead of time so all I have to do at night is throw them in our lunch sacks.  So far the strategy is working well.  Still working on how I'm going to fit working out into my new crazy schedule.  And also seeking new dinner recipes that are quick and healthy.  Any suggestions or ideas from other parents or working moms out there?

More updates about life transition to come as Nate will start day care (or "school" which is what we're calling it to help us feel better) in September....

1 comment:

  1. I remember that feeling - soon it will be like clockwork getting all that stuff together. It still takes time but gets to the point where you don't have to "think" about it too much. It's so hard to find balance, isn't it!? You are doing a great job, mama! Super proud of you for pumping, too! It's not easy but worth it! xo

    ReplyDelete